Saturday, January 16, 2010

Windows are the eyes of the house. (pt2)

The first part of the business about windows related to those in the original part of the house.  Frances looked after those while I did gutters. 

The reason I did the gutters was that it involved a ladder. So when we got to the windows in the extension quite a lot of them needed a ladder also.  Thus I got to play with them.

A slight annoyance was that the windows were split into small areas for some unknown reason - probably an architect's fancy at the time.  This meant it took quite a while,  and several metres of masking tape, to get ready for this exercise.

The image shows the main offenders (about half the total area) before I started on them.  The nifty reflection of the Yellow Box is a bonus.. 


I think because the weather got a bit damp (or possibly it got too hot - I can't remember which) after we finished applying the paint we left the masking tape in position for a while.  This meant it stuck like poop to a hairy blanket.  My estimate is that it took me better than 5 hours (with a lot of use of a paint scraper) to get the tape off.  Also, there had been a few runny bits and they had dried like something that dries very hard.  Turps did nothing to get it off; meths wasn't much better.  Frances tried Eucalyptus oil, which did work but would be damn expensive.  Eventually I tried unleaded petrol and that seemed to work well.

No comments:

Post a Comment